Learning to design on the web is very exciting. You’ll have a chance to manipulate different aspects to create a perfect layout, appearance, and content. To have an appealing website, you’ll play with different colour schemes, images, and categorise information and structures.
To effectively execute such measures, you need foundation skills. There are many things to consider, such as:
- Learning HTML basics
HTML coding confers a strong foundation for your web designing skills. It is a mark-up language essential for all documents that a website displays.
Understanding how it functions as well as how to use it – its common elements, lays a stronger foundation designing.
- Learning CSS typography
Typography makes about 95 percent of web designing; 95 percent of the information on any website is in written form. So it confers sufficient training on shaping information in written form.
Typography relates to usability and emotions. A web conveys information. This information is obtained from a user interface. With proper and deliberate techniques reading texts can be improved, i.e., such as letters that complement the content.
You’ll learn about font- legibility, styles, choosing the right font, pairing and categorising. Besides, you’ll learn the difference between font and typeface.
Other important considerations include ligatures, file sizes, and language support.
- Learning CSS layout
You’ve seen websites with different layouts, right? There are numerous kinds of web layouts. A website is divided into a header, menu, content, and the footer.
The understanding layout helps you to manipulate elements on a web page. You can control their current position relative to the default position in a standard layout flow, other details surrounding them, the parent container, or main view-port.
CSS layout involves normal flow, flexbox, display property, positioning, grid, table layout, floats, and multiple columns.
- CSS colour and background
Here is where you breathe life into your creation by using different colours as well as backgrounds. Apply various visual techniques to make the site stand out, and finalise a design into a web.
Tips on successful web designing
- Start doing it: start small. Play with a different aspect to assess what and how it works. This way, you learn a lot of things.
- Read about web designing: it is vital to keep yourself in the know. Read about current or emerging trends, best practises, and theories. This will boost your knowledge base.
- Play with codes: apart from HTML, you can learn other programming languages.
- Improve your website: you can make your website visually appealing. You can do this by learning about graphic design. Such knowledge will lead to a beautiful site. Besides, find out what you love most in a website. Is it navigation, typography, form designs, colour, or images?
- Be abreast with technology: being on top of technological changes makes you a better designer. Much as it might be challenging to understand all of them, being with the trend is vital. Go through them one by one. Common ones are bots, VR, AI, and AR.